Friday, March 1, 2013

Let me introduce myself...

I'm the "local", the "host-country national."  I'm from "the field" where the grasses are rooted. 

I have a degree in community development from the University for Development Studies in Ghana, but I believe much of what qualifies me to speak about development is my first-hand experience "being developed."  And that experience is what I intend to share in this blog.  My name is Mankama, and I'm from a community called Kananto in Ghana's northern region.  Kananto was when I was growing up and continues to be today a rural community comprised of  roughly 400 people.  There is no electricity, no running water, 1 functioning bore hole, and minimal cell phone reception.  My intention in this description is not to encourage pity but to explain the perspective that I'll be speaking from, as these are all commonly cited points in the development field.

I've witnessed the implementation of a number of development projects throughout the course of my life-- some successful, some not so much, and some that were simply detrimental.  I would like to share these stories and start a discussion that moves us towards a better kind of development-- a development that more accurately assesses the problems faced by our society and more genuinely seeks their solutions.  I don't intend to make this a blog of criticisms, so I hope it doesn't evolve into that.  We are all entitled to mistakes, however, it is important that we claim and take ownership over these mistakes as we would our achievements.  I believe in this way we can truly learn, grow, and make a reality out of what we now relegate as idealistic thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment